Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wintery-ness

"You can't get too much winter in the winter." - Robert Frost

I heard cautious (and slightly panicked) voices declare that it was snowing. Making an excuse to get up from my desk, I walked to another department and through their picture windows, watched the whiteness fall.

Many different feelings passed through me as I studied the fine layer of snow covering the cars in the parking lot. Excitement, this is the earliest it's snowed here in a very long time. Apprehension, what will the drive home be like today (and all the days to come during the season). Pairs of feelings hold hands and come to join me at the window. Wonder and Adventure, this will be the first year that K will be able to play in the snow. Comfort and Fear, I like watching the snow fall while wrapped up in a blanket at home and I fear what it will be like when I do have to deal with it.

So it begins, the winter season. I acknowledge it with a nod and a handshake, because in a few months I'll want to give it a swift uppercut and tell it to go away.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am jealous. It is 60 degrees here in Jersey today. I actually had to take my jacket off when we went to the store this morning.

Nico said...

Nice description of the start of the cooolllldd season :-)