Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Here Goes

I'm pursuing an opportunity. I'm nervous as hell, intimidated and generally wondering if I'm being foolish to put myself out there.

True, I don't LOVE where I'm working now but Killjoy generally doesn't bug me by hovering over every little thing I do, I can do this job in my sleep, even though this place doesn't have a "Flex time" policy Killjoy does let me make up some time if I need to go to a DR appt or such, I have set hours that I do really like, I'm a few months away from being full vested in 401K and I have a paid vacation coming up over the Chrismas/New Year holidays.
If I leave I won't have those things.

Does anyone LOVE their job anyway? If they did would there be movies like Office Space?!

I know I'm "talking" my way out of applying. I do that. I don't want to think the "grass is greener on the other side" because it may not be. All the things I like about my current job (as few as they are) may be tossed out the window.

I guess I'm just going to do it. Hell, I may not even catch their eye.

UPDATE
So I just e-mailed it over. I had to write a letter about me, what I've done so far in my career, what I want to do, etc etc. It couldn't be a standard cover letter, either. Here's hoping I don't come across like a court jester. I figure if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. They'll either like what they see or not. I have to at least try.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm contemplating the same thing.
I've been here 7.5 years and lately, I dread going to work.

I don't have any other "opportunities" right now, but I'm sure I can find another low-paying, unappreciative company out there somewhere.

I really want to change my hours. If I could get something 2nd or 3rd shift, I could pull the kids out of daycare & stay home with them.

Lainey-Paney said...

I love my job.
I hate some things about it. I hate some of the politics, etc.
But all in all, I love what I do.

Lainey-Paney said...

But, that is a tough situation to walk away from the 401K & vacation.

BUT: you put yourself out there. If you don't get interviewed for or offered the new job, so be it. You don't really have a decision to make until the offer is on the table for job #2. So...take the chance, and then weigh your options.

but, it's completely scary, I know.

Chris, Renae & Annie said...

Good luck! I have been in my job 10 years, fully vested, awesome vacation and sick leave - and I'm contemplating something else.

I have loved my job - and it is still a very good job. But right now, I'm not sure if this is where I belong.

Again, good luck!

Nico said...

How long until you find out, do you think?

Good for you for going for it - definitely can't hurt to at least explore the opportunity!!!