Friday, August 17, 2007

Counting 1...2...2.5...2.999999999999997

One noodle into eating his dinner last night, K decided to have a mini-meltdown which consisted of cry-whining, leaning his head back so that he looked at the ceiling through squinted eyes.
We had no idea what brought it on, but before I knew it I was leaning over near K's left ear, uttering the words:
"I'm going to count to three and if you don't calm down, you'll go to your crib."
Of course, that didn't work. I repeated it a second time, a third time...
So I hesitantly started the countdown
1...
2...
Here was the point where I so desperately wanted to count to two and a quarter, two and a half, two and...I just wanted to eat my dinner. I REALLY didn't want to have to get up, undo the seat strap and take K into his room, listen to him cry even more, try and ingnore it...
3...
Holy shit, I made it to three!
I got up out of my chair and as I made it over to K, he stopped his cry-whine and had a noodle in his hand, heading for his mouth. Literally, just as I got to his chair to undo the strap, he stopped.

I love my son, but after that I gave him the biggest "you've got to be freakin' kidding me/go figure" eye-roll you could possibly imagine.

5 comments:

DD said...

We count down. Depending on the situation is how we determine what number to start. Whining? 3. Getting ready for bed? 20. I follow through (most of the time) with the punishment, but Mr. DD doesn't plus he doesn't use the countdown correctly and once he gets half way done, he'll intentionally go really fast. Then X starts to think it's a game and the behavior repeats.

I wish he wouldn't do that.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. The dinner-time drama.
Maggie doesn't like to eat. (She's "too busy" watching Little Bear or talking to me or Will) Joe threatens, she cries, I get upset.

Dinner should be enjoyable.

Most times, if we leave her alone, she'll settle down & eat.

I count up too. Once, I was giving her until 10 to do something or another, & when I get to 7, she yelled, "WAIT!! I need more numbers!!"

Nico said...

LMAO. Nice that he actually stopped the crying rather than forcing you to take him to his crib!

Christy said...

I didn't know counting down worked on kids that young.

Em said...

Nice one, Billy just goes from crying to laughing when i start to tell him off, glad i have such a effect!